Pages

Sunday 9 September 2012

A new start in September

This blog has been sadly neglected during my master's year, but as I enter the tertiary stage of my tertiary education, I'm determined to give it another go.

To do this, I decided to revamp it a little by taking the focus away from libraries and onto linguistics. The main change is the name: Alliteration Station is cute, but not so meaningful. The new name, however, is inspired by a quote from Professor Ad Neeleman. He said that studying formal linguistics is like dancing in a suit of armour, as we strive for elegant, simple theories within the tight constraints that we (and Chomsky) have set ourselves.

I thought that this was a brilliant image, so I will strive to be the best iron-clad dancer that I can be...and maybe loosen, or redefine, that suit of armour along the way. I will also try to document it a little more often!

Coming up next: what went down before and during my very first grown-up conference!


No comments:

Post a Comment