Pages

Thursday 18 April 2013

Identity crisis

For a little while now, I've felt that my internet handles haven't necessarily represented what I do. I don't expect them to represent who I am particularly deeply, as they're usually limited in characters and two or three words cannot a person summarise in any case (no matter how hard you might try on Twitter).

Anyway. My name, or anything much based on it, has never been an option seeing as it's a spectacularly common British name. I've worked through a fair few handles in my time, from obscure teenage references to a Jonny Wilkinson obsession to my most recent feuille blanche brand. I chose feuille blanche because a) French sounds pretty and b) I liked the idea of 'blank page' as suggesting that I'm open to ideas, that I'm somehow a work in progress in myself. This latter point is no less true than before, but it's not very clear, it's a bit funny to spell and, as an established French phrase, it's sometimes find it free as a username or web address. I also have a more established framework to work in now than when I set myself up on the blog and on Twitter - I belong to an institution, I have a role within that institution, and I'm very proud of both of these things.

So from now on, this blog can be found at discipulaeboracensis.blogspot.com. I know, it's a bit pretentious, but I couldn't help myself. The idea came when I was given my temporary "zoo" office at the université de Lausanne (on which more another time), so called because its large floor-to-ceiling windows face into the centre of the building, leaving the occupant feeling a little like a specimen on display (not that the passing students are the most interested watchers-of-academics, but still!). On wondering what my genus name would be, I eventually landed on discipula eboracensis - student (female, of course) of York.

So there it is. This blog is officially written by a student of York, at York, in York (mostly), who is becoming, bit by bit, a little less of a blank page.

No comments:

Post a Comment