Pages

Saturday 3 September 2011

Thing 19: Slides for Sharing

*This is was scheduled to appear sometime last week...I'm not sure how it slipped under the net, but here it is anyway...*

Yet another Thing that has only come to my attention since being in Cambridge, and which is so eminently sensible, I'm surprised it didn't crop up before.
I don't yet have an account, but here's an example of how I've been vaguely involved in its use in libraries - librarian extraordinaire Annie posted this just after our presentation at the Libraries@Cambridge conference 2011: Libraries@Cambridge 2011 - Graduate Trainees' presentation
View more presentations from Annie Johnson

The only thing I would have maybe added to this was to attach the appropriate part of the script to each slide, but it's still useful for non-attendees (and nice for our own nostalgia) to able to reaccess the slides so easily, wherever we are and whichever computer we might be using. Bless the cloud, eh.

There are many other librarians, superb advocates in particular, who make use of Slideshare to continue to share their excellent points with those who maybe couldn't make it to the original presentation. As far as I can tell, you can't yet put Prezis on Slideshare, which is a shame, but maybe this will come in the future.

I can very much see the use of Slideshare in my future career too. I intend to get involved with presenting papers as soon as possible, so it will be useful to have a record not only for the reasons detailed above, but also to form part of my online CV and presence, for anyone who's interested! It would also be very useful for teaching, as any delinquent, lecture-skipping students can get the slides any time, as well as those dedicated ones! It's also far more eco-friendly than printing out the slides on handouts every time.

All in all, a great tool which I may not have made much use of yet, but I certainly will in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are supposed to be able to put the script up, but it didn't work at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, I know that if it had been an option, you'd have done it!

    ReplyDelete